New Hampshire

Applicable Form of Executive Clemency: Commutation of Sentence

Eligibility: All inmates are eligible to apply. The Governor and Executive Council (G&C) has a policy that they will consider no more than one petition by any individual during any two-year gubernatorial term.

Application Process: A standard practice has evolved to apply for a commutation of sentence. An application for pardon must be submitted by the applicant for review by the Governor and Executive Council. The applicant may include an additional letter or specify that he or she wishes to be considered for a commutation of sentence on the application form itself.

For information regarding executive clemency contact:

Department of Justice
33 Capitol Street
Concord, NH 03301
Phone (603) 271-3658
Fax (603) 271-2110

Pardon applications may be requested from the Department of Justice or the Governor's Office.

Office of the Governor
State House
107 North Main Street
Concord, NH 03301
(603)271-7640 (fax)

Subsequent to the receipt of your application, a criminal records check and a report from your institution's superintendent will be obtained. All information obtained is public information, except for documents from the New Hampshire State Police and the superintendent of any incarceration facility.

Once the form has been submitted and all documents have been compiled, the Governor and Executive Council will review the application and recommendations received from you and from public officials, and will decide whether to grant a hearing. After this hearing the G&C may grant a commutation of sentence.

The Governor may grant a conditional commutation that mandates the petitioner return to incarceration if the conditions of the commutation are violated.

Please note: Most inmates seeking clemency in New Hampshire opt for one of these routes, rather than applying for a commutation of sentence:

  • Utilizing the Statutory Right under RSA 651:20 to request the sentencing court suspend the remaining portion of their sentence after 3/4 of their minimum sentence has been served, or after 4 years have been served (whichever is longer)
  • Asking the New Hampshire Department of Corrections to suspend a remaining portion of their maximum sentence
  • Applying for a pardon

For more information about these types of clemency contact the Attorney General's office at

New Hampshire Department of Justice
33 Capitol Street
Concord, NH 03301
Telephone: 603-271-3658
Fax: 603-271-2110
TDD  Access: 1-800-735-2964

Every effort has been made to make this information accurate and up-to-date. Errors are inevitable and changes occur frequently. We would appreciate learning of any errors or inaccuracies regarding any information on this Webpage as soon as possible. Please write to

Last Updated: 06/23/14